Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_5_] Paul E. Lehmann[_5_] is offline

Default Slowing primary fermentation

JG wrote:

> Hey gang,
> I have a chardonnay that refuses to finish primary fermentation. The
> first signs of primary ferm. started about 6.5 weeks ago. I have 3
> vessels and two are at 1 Brix and one is at 1.5 brix. I pitched EC-1118
> at 2 brix 3.5 weeks ago and warmed it and it seems to have done some
> good but I expected it to be done by now. Last night, I put in a very
> small amount of superfood thinking the yeast were nutrient starved at
> the end of the fermentation. Here are my questions:
>
> 1. I see bubbles coming to the top but there is no foam to speak of.
> Is it possible to complete MLF and have an off dry wine? I suppose it
> is since they are independent processes but I am wondering if I am
> seeing MLF bubbles and not Primary Ferm bubbles.
>
> 2. I've read about stuck fermentations at <= 1 Brix and am wondering if
> what I have done will be enough to mercifully finish this fermentation
> soon.
>
> The good news is there is still bubble activity but I am worried it is
> MLF since it is taking so long to finish. There are no off odors or
> colors and I've got the vessels topped up. The wine tastes fine and is
> a bit fizzy so I think it can be salvaged but I'd feel better if it
> finished soon.
>
> Any advice is appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Joe

Joe, IMHO, measuring brix post start of fermentation is useless and gives
misleading information. After fermentation commences, use your hydrometer
and the SG to monitor progress of your ferment. What is the SG of your
wine now.

Without knowing more about your wine, my guess is that it is undergoing ML.
--
To reply via email, remove the obvious
Paul