Old 07-11-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lynn from Fargo Lynn from Fargo is offline

Default Help I lost a recipe . . . (actually I lost the book)

On Nov 6, 11:52*am, Sky wrote:
Lynn from Fargo wrote:

Anybody with a copy of Julia Child (RIP) "Mastering the Art of French
Cooking (Volume 2 ?)". I need the recipe for Navarin de Printemps
(Lamb Stew). Yes I googled it (on the net, not in this group) and what
appeared was an oddly familiar quote. (When I went to the quote . . .
it was ME!) *Anyway, I lost the book years ago but I haven't made the
dish in so long I can't remember all the ingredients/method. Is some
kind soul willing to post this for me?

Lynn in Fargo

What I found is in Volume I, page 344: *"Lamb Stew; Ragouts, Navarins,
et Haricots de Mouton". *I hope I've quoted the one you need:

******** begin recipe *********

"Navarin Printanier" *Lamb Stew with Spring Vegetables

3 lbs lamb stew meat
2 to 4 Tb rendered fresh pork fat or cooking oil
10" or 12" skillet
fireproof covered casserole
1 Tb granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 Tbs flour
2 to 3 cups brown lamb- or beef-stock or canned beef bouillon
1/4 lb tomatoes peeled, seeded, juiced & chopped (1 cup of pulp)
* * * *or 3 Tb tomato paste
2 cloves mashed garlic
1/4 tsp thyme or rosemary
1 bay leaf
6 to 12 peeled "boiling" potatoes
6 peeled carrots
6 peeled turnips
12 to 18 peeled white onions, about 1" in diameter
1 cup shelled green pease
1/4 lb or about 1 cup green beans cut into about 1/2" pieces
3 quarts boiling water
1.5 Tbs salt

Preheat oven to 450F degrees.

Cut lamb into 2" cubes & dry with paper towels. *The meat will not brown
if it is damp. *Brown a few pieces at a time in hot fat or oil in the
skillet. *As they are browned, place in the casserole.

Sprinkle lamb in the casserole with sugar and toss over moderately high
heat for 3 to 4 minutes until the sugar has caramelized.

Toss the meat with S&P, then with the flour. *Set casserole uncovered in
the middle level of the preheated oven for 4 to 5 minutes. *Toss the
meat & return it to the oven for 4 to 5 minutes more. *This browns the
flour evenly and coats the lamb with a light crust. *Remove casserole
and turn oven down to 350F degrees.

Pour out the fat; add 2 cups of stock or bouillon to saute skillet.
Bring to a boil and scrape up coagulated saute juices. *Then pour the
liquid into the casserole. *Bring to a simmer for a few seconds, shaking
and stirring to mix liquid and flour. *Add the tomatoes or tomato paste
and the other ingredients. *Bring to a simmer for 1 minute, then add
more stock if necessary; meat should be almost covered by liquid.

Put lid on the conasserole and set in lower third of preheated oven;
regulate heat so casserole simmers slowly and regularly for 1 hour.
Then pour the contents of the casserole into a sieve set over a bowl.
Rinse out the casserole. *Remove any loose bones and return the lamb to
the casserole. *Skim the fat off the sauce in the bowl, correct
seasoning, and pour sauce back into casserole. *Then add the vegetable
which have been prepared as follows:

While the lamb is simmering, trim potatoes into ovals 1.5" long, and
over with cold water until ready to use. *Quarter the carrots & turnips,
cut them into 1.5" lengths, and if you have the patience, trim the edges
to round them slightly. *Pierce a cross in the root ends of the onions
so they will cook evenly.

Press the vegetables into the casserole around and between the pieces of
lamb. *Baste with the sauce. *Bring to a simmer on top of the stove,
cover and return to the oven. *Regulate heat so liquid simmers slowly
and steadily for about an hour longer or until the meat & veetables are
tender when pierced with a fork. *Remove from oven, tilt casserole, and
skim off fat. *Taste sauce again and correct seasoning.

While the casserole is in the oven, drop the peas and beans into boiling
salted water and boil rapidly, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the
vegetables are almost tender. *Immediately drain in a colander. *Run
cold water over them for 2 to 3 minutes to stop the cooking and to set
the color. *Put aside until ready to use.

Shortly before serving, place the peas & beans in the casserole on top
of the other ingredients and baste with the bubbling sauce. *Cover and
simmer about 5 minutes or until the green vegetables are tender.

Serve the "navarin" from its casserole or arrange it on a very hot
platter.

******** end of recipe *******

Hope this helps and I didn't make too many typos

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Sky,
THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember the sugar to help carmelize
the lamb. It wasn't in any other recipe I read (at least eight).
Forever grateful,
Lynn in Fargo