Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Help I lost a recipe . . . (actually I lost the book)

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> Anybody with a copy of Julia Child (RIP) "Mastering the Art of French
> Cooking (Volume 2 ?)". I need the recipe for Navarin de Printemps
> (Lamb Stew). Yes I googled it (on the net, not in this group) and what
> appeared was an oddly familiar quote. (When I went to the quote . . .
> it was ME!) Anyway, I lost the book years ago but I haven't made the
> dish in so long I can't remember all the ingredients/method. Is some
> kind soul willing to post this for me?
>
> Lynn in Fargo

What I found is in Volume I, page 344: "Lamb Stew; Ragouts, Navarins,
et Haricots de Mouton". I hope I've quoted the one you need:

******** begin recipe *********

"Navarin Printanier" Lamb Stew with Spring Vegetables

3 lbs lamb stew meat
2 to 4 Tb rendered fresh pork fat or cooking oil
10" or 12" skillet
fireproof covered casserole
1 Tb granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 Tbs flour
2 to 3 cups brown lamb- or beef-stock or canned beef bouillon
1/4 lb tomatoes peeled, seeded, juiced & chopped (1 cup of pulp)
or 3 Tb tomato paste
2 cloves mashed garlic
1/4 tsp thyme or rosemary
1 bay leaf
6 to 12 peeled "boiling" potatoes
6 peeled carrots
6 peeled turnips
12 to 18 peeled white onions, about 1" in diameter
1 cup shelled green pease
1/4 lb or about 1 cup green beans cut into about 1/2" pieces
3 quarts boiling water
1.5 Tbs salt

Preheat oven to 450F degrees.

Cut lamb into 2" cubes & dry with paper towels. The meat will not brown
if it is damp. Brown a few pieces at a time in hot fat or oil in the
skillet. As they are browned, place in the casserole.

Sprinkle lamb in the casserole with sugar and toss over moderately high
heat for 3 to 4 minutes until the sugar has caramelized.

Toss the meat with S&P, then with the flour. Set casserole uncovered in
the middle level of the preheated oven for 4 to 5 minutes. Toss the
meat & return it to the oven for 4 to 5 minutes more. This browns the
flour evenly and coats the lamb with a light crust. Remove casserole
and turn oven down to 350F degrees.

Pour out the fat; add 2 cups of stock or bouillon to saute skillet.
Bring to a boil and scrape up coagulated saute juices. Then pour the
liquid into the casserole. Bring to a simmer for a few seconds, shaking
and stirring to mix liquid and flour. Add the tomatoes or tomato paste
and the other ingredients. Bring to a simmer for 1 minute, then add
more stock if necessary; meat should be almost covered by liquid.

Put lid on the conasserole and set in lower third of preheated oven;
regulate heat so casserole simmers slowly and regularly for 1 hour.
Then pour the contents of the casserole into a sieve set over a bowl.
Rinse out the casserole. Remove any loose bones and return the lamb to
the casserole. Skim the fat off the sauce in the bowl, correct
seasoning, and pour sauce back into casserole. Then add the vegetable
which have been prepared as follows:

While the lamb is simmering, trim potatoes into ovals 1.5" long, and
over with cold water until ready to use. Quarter the carrots & turnips,
cut them into 1.5" lengths, and if you have the patience, trim the edges
to round them slightly. Pierce a cross in the root ends of the onions
so they will cook evenly.

Press the vegetables into the casserole around and between the pieces of
lamb. Baste with the sauce. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove,
cover and return to the oven. Regulate heat so liquid simmers slowly
and steadily for about an hour longer or until the meat & veetables are
tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven, tilt casserole, and
skim off fat. Taste sauce again and correct seasoning.

While the casserole is in the oven, drop the peas and beans into boiling
salted water and boil rapidly, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the
vegetables are almost tender. Immediately drain in a colander. Run
cold water over them for 2 to 3 minutes to stop the cooking and to set
the color. Put aside until ready to use.

Shortly before serving, place the peas & beans in the casserole on top
of the other ingredients and baste with the bubbling sauce. Cover and
simmer about 5 minutes or until the green vegetables are tender.

Serve the "navarin" from its casserole or arrange it on a very hot
platter.

******** end of recipe *******

Hope this helps and I didn't make too many typos

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice