Posted to alt.food.wine
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default TN: Election night wines: bubbly, whites, and a red I'd as soon forget

Dick R. wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
>> Last night we went over to friends, to watch
>> elections returns and
>> celebrate. We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom
>> canapes while watching returns (including
>> Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
>> declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and
>> cheering.
>>

> <snip>
>>
>> I realize not everyone shares my political
>> views, but I hope everyone appreciates the
>> historical significance of last night. It was
>> quite
>> moving to me to watch alongside an
>> African-American friend in his sixties, who
>> never thought he'd see that day. I thought
>> McCain's concession speech showed a glimpse of
>> the McCain I thought was my favorite Republican
>> 8 years ago, and Obama's speech was stirring
>> yet nuanced, not the easiest combo.
>>

> I've always thought of John McCain as one of the
> good guys, but I think he got tangled up trying
> to tow the party line. Maybe if he had run as an
> independent, the results would have been
> different. I still think he's a good guy, but
> I'm glad he won't be our next president. JMHO
> Dick R.

IMHO, he made a BIG mistake by sucking up to the
religious nuts - the ones he once called agents
of intolerance. I would like to see any and all
American politicians not pander to the religious
extremists. He would have been a lot more
successful running as a true independent and not
taking on the baggage of the so called "base" of
his party.

As for me, I am drink some of my backyard estate
grown Merlot / Cabernet Franc blend and some of
my Pineapple Melomel, (mead (honey wine) made
with honey and pinapples)).