Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Election night wines: bubbly, whites, and a red I'd as soonforget

Mark Lipton wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
>> Last night we went over to friends, to watch elections returns and
>> celebrate. We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom canapes while watching
>> returns (including Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
>> declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and cheering.

[]
> I was brought to tears when CNN showed images from Kenya, showing the
> jubilation there. The significance of last night's election can hardly
> be overstated. I too thought that McCain's concession speech was one of
> his finest moments, gracious and thoughtful. I was initially quite
> skeptical of Obama's speech, as it began like too many speeches I've
> heard at the Academy Awards ("I'd like to thank my producer, who had
> faith in me...") but he hit his stride midway through and he finished
> strongly. I almost felt as if I was listening to Dr. King speak, and
> that led me to wonder what he would have made of this election, which
> brought me to tears again.

Much sentiment from this side of the pond also, and a sense that if the
"real" McCain (as shown in his concession speech) had campaigned as
such, he might well have stolen the election. (We've also always had
a great deal of respect for the man.)

We drained the bottle of Piper Heidsick Monopole at 7am, arguably not
the best hour for tasting, but it was excellent, all grapefruit and
cake, nice fine mousse and a good choice for an early celebration.

A great moment, an American moment I thought, but learned that our
friend and neighbor Francoise had stayed up listening to radio returns,
and also popped the bubbly (unnamed) at a little after 6. All
alone as it happened, it had never occurred to us she would be
that interested!

Adele whooped and danced around the driveway (in rain) while I took the
dog out for some early morning relief.

-E