Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Election night wines: bubbly, whites, and a red I'd as soonforget

Last night we went over to friends, to watch elections returns and
celebrate. We ate chili, sushi, and mushroom canapes while watching
returns (including Comedy Central, we actually watched Jon Stewart
declare Obama the winner at 11), debating, and cheering.

Plus, of course, some wine:
2006 Urban Uco Malbec-Tempranillo (Argentina)
No offense to my host, but this was dreadful wine. Jammy yet with a
harsh acidity, oak chippy, sharp raspberries and blackberries with a
weird almost chemically note. This seemed to go down fine with
everyone else, but I used the sushi as excuse to dump the red. C-

2007 Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc
This was a pleasant surprise. Citrus and peach fruit with just a hint
of fresh mowed grass. Fuller styled, could use a little more acidic
zip, but one of the better Cal SBs I've had recently, at least in the
under $20 class. B

2003 Donnhoff Obama Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
OK, OK, so this said "Oberhauser Leistenberg" till we went to work
with tape and marker. Very good wine. Shows the vintage in not having
the acidity of the '01 or '02, but not flabby in the least. Peaches
and Bosc pears over a grapefruit/citrus spine, some mineral notes. A
revisit shows some surprising red fruits (cherries?), a slight hint of
petrol. One of my favorite 2003s, seems totally ready to me. B+

When the announcement came:

1998 Charles Ellner "Cuvee Prestige" Champagne
Full-bodied, yeasty, an almost-hops-y note. Not especially long, sweet
apple fruit. B

NV Cristalino Cava Brut
You know, this isn't bad. Light, nutty, just a touch of sweetness.
Quite decent finish. I prefer the Champagne, but not by much, and the
Cristalino is a much better value. B-

There had also been a 2007 Pepiere Muscadet Betsy used for cooking, as
always a stunning value

I realize not everyone shares my political views, but I hope everyone
appreciates the historical significance of last night. It was quite
moving to me to watch alongside an African-American friend in his
sixties, who never thought he'd see that day. I thought McCain's
concession speech showed a glimpse of the McCain I thought was my
favorite Republican 8 years ago, and Obama's speech was stirring yet
nuanced, not the easiest combo.

*