Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Michael Kuettner Michael Kuettner is offline

Default Goats & rabbits [Was: TIMES: Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls, chicken and goats]

"Dan Abel" schrieb :
> "Michael Kuettner" wrote:
>
>> "Ken" schrieb :
>> <snip>
>> > I hope they arrive here. I love rabbit. Especially in hassenfeffer(sp?).

>> Hasenpfeffer.
>> Hase = hare, Pfeffer = pepper.
>> Hassen means to hate.

> hassenpfeffer would be the dish for my wife, then. She hates pepper,
> the spice. She loves bell peppers, though.

Ah, then she's a Pfefferhasser (someone who hates pepper).

She loves bell peppers ? OK.

One red, one green and one yellow bell pepper.
Remove seeds and stems and dice them
500 grams minced meat
One can (minimum : 500 grams) of diced tomatos
One onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
powdered caraway seed
marjoram
salt (and optionally pepper)
lard (or oil)
vinegar
pinch of sugar

Heat lard (or oil) in pot. Fry onion while stirring on high heat until it
is glassy. Add garlic and minced meat. Stir well and brown the meat
slightly.
Add the bell peppers and stir well.
Add the spices. Stir well.
Add vinegar to deglace. Drop in the tomatos.
Stir well and let it simmer.
Adjust seasonings after one hour. Let it simmer for at least another hour.
Serve with baguette or pasta.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner