Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes (hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

"amandaF" wrote

>I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with
> worrying about oil and butter so no offense to anyone

Actually there are other reasons. My husband and I are entering the older
phase of life. He's had one mini-stroke and now has to be on lower salt
intake and i have cholestrol problems as well as sugar ones, so we have to
be a bit adaptive in our cookery due to that.

Others here probably have other needs.

> Just that I am
> not too old and good looking and don't want to get fat. Aside from not
> being able to handle extra weight (because I have a slender body
> frame), I don't have money to buy new clothes of (the next size up)
> either

Hehe not getting too fat is a good thing. I also have to watch for that due
to some issues with my back (which cant stand the strain of me ever getting
too fat).

I find that a balanced diet, high in veggies and fruit, and lower in meat
and careful use of fats, works for me. I've been graced with a high
metabolism so weight control is easier for me than most.

> By limiting use of oil, I can eat cheese and dessert a bit. I also

Yes, that is one way. Another thing you may want to consider is what types
of oils you use. I use mostly olive oil, and not the most expensive one,
but a ecet enough brand. When things call for butter saute, I mix butter
with some olive oil and find the effect works for me.

I dont buy margarine at all anymore. I use real butter in sensible amounts
and if more is needed for a recipe, mix in olive oil.

> avoid cheap candies so that I can eat dessert when I go to the
> restaurant though I am not eating dessert much these days. In fact, I
> am going to do weight training using free weight.

I don't *like* sweets much. Wierd as it may sound, if a person grows up
with a sugar imbalance from childhood, that is often true. Fresh fruit is
all the sweets I want. I am not diabetic, but the other sort and it's
controlled by diet. Has been under control since I was 19 (had a gap there
that landed me in a hospital and learned my lesson well).

> Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
> rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

Humm! I simply can not make italian. Oh, I try! But no matter how good my
intentions, I start 'fusioning it' to something else and though the end
result is good, it's no longer really 'Italian' anymore.

Often it becomes something sorta 'Greek-Italian' with a bit of Spain added
in, or might be Arab influenced ;-)