Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Mashed Cauliflower

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Nicky > wrote:
>> : On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:16:37 -0400, "Willy" > wrote:
>>
>> : >But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone
>> found a
>> : >way to accomplish this?
>>
>> : You've got to let it drain really, really thoroughly - maybe even
>> : pressing it to get the last of the liquid out.
>>
>> : Whilst you're experimenting, mashed turnips or celeriac done the same
>> : way are pretty good too : )
>>
>> : Nicky.
>>
>> When yu say turnips, do yu mean the whie ones with the purple bottomw or
>> the huge yellow ones also called swedes or rutabegas? I like the white
>> ones but can't stand the yellow ones. I use the white ones in my stews
>> in
>> place of pottoes. I one sitting in the oven right now keeping warm untl
>> spper. Beef, laarge chenked catrrots, celery, green or red pepper,
>> chunked tpeele white turnips, onions, grlic, large can of tomatoes, good
>> sized glug of left-over red wine, s and FGBP, 6-10 whole cloves, this
>> time two long salks of rosmary removed from stem. I would have put in
>> some bay leaves, but I couldn't find them.

> I thought turnips and rutabagas were two different things?
>
> I like both of them raw, in limited amounts but not cooked at all. I
> remember once taking a huge amount of what appeared to be mashed potatoes.
> My mom chuckled with a rather evil laugh as she told me she didn't think I
> wanted to do that. Imagine my shock and horror when I discovered they
> were not potatoes but rutabagas. Blech!

Rutabagas are delicious when you oven roast them, sprinkled with herbs and
seasonings, oiled lightly and baked till tender. I have also enjoyed them
mashed, but we add one real potato to the pot for texture.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

(Our) enemies are not man. They are intolerance, fanaticism, dictatorship,
cupidity, hatred and discrimination, which lie within the heart of man." --
Thich Nhat Hanh