Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking
chilichick chilichick is offline

Default Looking for menudo recipe

On Oct 25, 1:33*pm, mack the knife > wrote:
> I am looking for a good mecudo recipe, there are millions on the web but
> they are all so different. *What should be used to bring out the flavor of
> the tripe? *The last time I made menudo I came out bland, yet I cooked it
> with garlic, onion, oregano, salt..Also someone told be to add a couple
> of cans of chicken broth, and I've never heard of this, has anyone done
> this? *TIA

Hey Mack,
I make Menudo alot... I use my great grandmothers recipe. It's very
flavorful not too spicy.
depending on how much you want I make this for about 15 - 20 family
and friends.
I start out with 20lbs of Honeycomb tripe (more expensive but best for
menudo) I use lots of lemon (12) to clean the menudo. Rinse it when
you first get it, soak it and squeeze about 3-4 lemons. I cut the fat
off the tripe and cut to size, I transfer cut pieces to another bowl
with clean lemon water. Once all cut I let it soak and then rinse and
repeat.do this about 3 times to clean it really good. My Aunt would
cook it outside because of the smell... the lemon rinse cuts the
smell.

20 lbs Honeycomb tripe
1 lg onion ... I add the whole onion and then take it out afterwards
1 head of garlic whole pieces
1 lg package of California chili powder ...
2 small packages of New Mexico Chili powder
I don't really measure, but salt, pepper maybe 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or
too taste... cumin about the same...
2 lg cans of Hominy (we like lots of hominy)
I cook mine in roaster 18 qt, I start it at about 10 pm and at 6am I
add hominy. It's ready anytime after 8am...

cut onion, cilantro, dry oregano and lemon for sides... and the
tortillas mmmmm

I'm making it this weekend as well. I find the tripe for about 2.50
lb
enjoy, I'd like to know if you decide to try this and get your
opinion.
thanks