Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Menudo

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Fortunately for Victor this one doesn't contain hominy. I happen to love
> hominy. But Victor isn't the end all-be-all know everything thing person
> when it comes to Menudo.

I can't stand hominy either. ;-) I'd probably use canned corn in it's
place. <g>

> 1 kg tripe, cubed
> 1 kg cow's feet, cut in eights

Calves feet work for me and are available locally, but one could
substitute pigs feet. I see mexican cooks do that around here all the
time.

I mostly use them for Calves foot jelly (there is a batch in the 'fridge
right now).

> 1 whole garlic head
> 2 onions, quartered
> 2 sprigs oregano
> salt to taste
>
> Put all those ingredients in a large stock pot, cover with water and
> simmer until tender, 2 or 3 hours. Replenish with hot water to ensure
> the meat is always covered. Let cool to room temperature. At this point
> you can debone the feet and cut the meat in smaller pieces.
>
> 4 large tomatoes, charred on a dry skillet or broiler
> 4 guajillo chiles, soaked in hot water until soft
>
> 1/2 onion, charred
> 1 liter chicken stock
> 2 liters of cooking broth
>
> Blend the tomatoes, chiles, onions with a bit of stock. Heat the oil in
> a large dutch oven and add the contents of the blender. Let cook for 5
> minutes or so, add the rest of the stock and broth and bring to a boil.
> Add the meats and simmer for 10 minutes.
>
> Serve with lime juice, crushed chiles de arbol (for those who want it
> hot), chopped onion and dry oregano. And lots of corn tortillas.
>
> Jill

Gods this sounds good! Stored to disk.

Thanks Jill!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama