Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] cwells21@NOSPAMhotmail.com is offline

Default Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
>to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
>arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
>my shortcuts (and shortcomings),
>
>First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
>skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
>oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
>tell you to just make it in a saucepan.
>
>I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
>waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
>regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
>and follow the original directions?
>
>I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
>Lynn in Fargo

For what it's worth, the couple of boxes of RaR I have on the shelf
still have those directions on them - brown rice/vermicelli mix in two
tablespoons butter or margarine. However, they do have a new line,
"Natures Way RIce A Roni" that skip that step and go straight to a
saucepan and use olive oil. Maybe that's the ones you've been looking
at in the market?

That said, I've always made straight pilaf using rice and broken bits
of thin spaghetti. Sautee the grains with some chopped onion in oil,
then add about two and a half cups chicken stock. Cover and simmer
until liquid is absorbed. This is actually faster and easier than
using a RaR box mix. Not to mention cheaper. But there are times when
certain family members insist on RaR. I think it's a comfort food sort
of thing.