Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lynn from Fargo Lynn from Fargo is offline

Default Mundane Questions that a Fairly Sophisticated Cook is Afraid to Ask

I'm starting this post with one question but certainly invite anyone
to post to it. I personally intend to add other questions when they
arise. Please don't get on my case, as I will undoubtedly be admitting
my shortcuts (and shortcomings),

First Question: The directions for Rice a Roni used to have you use a
skillet to brown the rice and vermicelli in a little butter or olive
oil before you add the seasonings and the water. Now the directions
tell you to just make it in a saucepan.

I like how it tastes when it's browned, but I gotta cut the sodium
waaaaaaay back (it's over 1000 mg per serving!). Can I just use
regular rice and orzo and olive oil and make my own spice/flavoring
and follow the original directions?

I gotta stop using these dang mixes!
Lynn in Fargo