Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default What to do with dehydrated bell pepper?

On Oct 21, 8:48�pm, Arri London > wrote:
> James wrote:
>
> > I got some excess peppers both red and green so I'm using my
> > dehydrater to dry them. �Takes 2 days a batch. �My question is what
> > dishes uses dried bell pepper? � Should I freeze them instead?

> Use them in soups and stews. Freezing them raw will make them mushy, but
> that's not bad in soups or stews either.

Right, doesn't matter... because rehydrated dehys are soft and mushy
too. But commercially dehydrated peppers are far more flavorful than
from those toys r us home style dehydrators. So I think it's better
to use exta peppers in recipes and freeze the result, then if you want
dehy peppers buy from a commercial source.

I grow a lot of peppers, hot and bell. I give away a lot of the hot
peppers but I use all the bells... seems I'm constantly sauteing
peppers, with all kinds of other veggies; onions, celery, potatoes,
eggplant, garlic of course, zukes, whatever there is... could add saw-
seege, make into a primavera for pasta/rice. or simply a scrumptious
omelet. I would never consider dehydrating my peppers. A grilled
pepper on one of my freshly ground rare burgers is better than sex.