BOB

Default Low vs not-so-low/was: Basting with bacon

Barry typed:
> Isn't 300 degrees a bit hgh for smoking a but? I keep it lower to avoid
> any drying out.
> 300 seems like it saves time though.

Not really. I usually cook at 250 to 275, so 300 isn't really all that much
higher.
Recently, I did an experiment, cooked 2 butts, one right after the other.
First was cooked at about 350, the other cooked about 250. Both rubbed with
exactly the same rub. Both cooked to about 198 internal. Of course the 350 butt
took less time.
Side-by-side, you could tell a slight difference. Not really sure what the
difference was, texture or less fat maybe, but the 250 butt was better, in the
minds of the testers. Most of the tests were "blind".

I'm also guessing that without the side-by-side tests, especially if they had been
refrigerated and re-heated, most people couldn't tell the difference.

My conclusion? I'll keep on cooking at about 225 to 250 unless time is a
controlling factor, since with my brand of cooker (without any extra voo-doo type
equipment), I can get the temperature stabilized and then go on with other things
like sleeping or shopping if I keep the target time in mind.

BOB