The Fat Man®

Default Basting with bacon

Faye Kinnitt wrote:

> I have determined that hickory has a much nicer flavor than
> the mesquite I've been using up until now and would like to
> get a hold of some fruitwood to try. I think the mesquite I have
> left is going in the trash as it seems too harsh compared to the
> hickory flavor.

Bob, stinkweed and pine needles would give off a better smell than mesquite.
You're doing the right thing by tossing it in the trash.

Those dang Texans have been trying to rid their state of the weed for years.
Their most successful attempt has been selling it to folks as BBQ wood.

I've eaten a *LOT* of BBQ in my day, and while I've never eaten anything
good that came from a mesquite fire, some folks say it's good for grilling.
I'm inclined to believe them, but for smoking it's worthless.

TFM®