Harry in Iowa

Default Basting with bacon

"The Fat ManŽ" > held forth in
:

> Barry wrote:
>
>>> Isn't 300 degrees a bit hgh for smoking a but? I keep it lower to
>>> avoid

>> any drying out.
>> 300 seems like it saves time though.

> The *slower* you cook it, the more apt you are to dry it out.
>
> Sorry, but you've been reading too much internet barbecue advice.
> That whole business about cooking at 220 is a myth. Nonsense.
>
> Here's a couple of quotes from Bob in Ga. The quotes are from a reply
> he sent me concerning whole hog cooking.
>
> -------------------
>
> "The methodology used to cook this classic bbq, in my opinion, was not
> meant for huge thick cuts such as the shoulder-butts from #1 hogs that
> are sold at grocery stores. Reason being that I don't subscribe to the
> newfangled idea that the process was ever intended to be "low and
> slow" ala internet hobbyist bbq. But I'll get to more on that later."

snippage

I recently did a 150 pound whole hog which due to either too much fuel or
the design of the pit cooked at 350 degrees F. It was done in 9 hours. I
was expecting a lot longer so at 3 in the A of M, myself and a couple of
family members were pulling pork.

Harry in Iowa

--
'Its just NOTSO if you feel the need to contact me'