Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Soup thickening

"SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote in message
news
>I went to a restaurant yesterday, and they had great clam chowder. Then my
>wife made some corn chowder today, and it was altogether different. The
>thick almost gravy broth had a flour taste. The restaurant chowder had the
>same consistency, but a much more flavorful broth.
>
> What is a good combination for thickening soup broths? Cornstarch?
> Wondra?
>
> Steve

None of the above.

You can thicken a bit with the starch in the potatoes, or you can make a
roux first and add the liquid to that. Or, you can eat it on the thin side.
Some of the best chowders I've ever had are not thick at all, just loaded
with flavor. There seems to be a fascination that thicker is better no
matter how bland the taste.

Turner's Boston Clam Chowder

INGREDIENTS:

8 pounds of clams, steamed.

Or substitute three 10 oz.
whole canned clams

2 cloves garlic, peeled and
crushed

1 stick butter

1 medium yellow onion,
minced

1 rib celery, minced

1/2 tsp white pepper

1 bay leaf

1/4 tsp whole thyme leaves

1/2 cup flour

5 1/2 cups clam nectar and
milk. (use the nectar from steaming and
make up the quantity needed by adding milk

3 small or 2 med potato,
peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice

1 pint whipping cream

Wash clams and steam in a 12 qt stockpot. Reserve the broth.

Remove the clams from their shells and chop coarsely. Cover both items and
set aside

In the same pot sauté the garlic in the butter for about 3 minutes. Add the
onion, celery, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme. Sauté until the onions are
clear.

Add the flour to make a roux, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 5
minutes (don't brown).

Slowly add the clam nectar, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Simmer for
0 minutes. The soup will be thick at this point so be careful that it
doesnot burn.

Add the potato and cook until tender.

Add the cream and clams and bring back to a boil.

Correct the seasoning.