shotgun*@osbaccess.com

Default Skin Treatment on Smoked Turkey

On 15 Nov 2003 12:28:40 -0800, (Davis) wrote:

>Hi all

(snip....)
>is still coming out very dark and leathery. Any suggestions? Thanks
>in advance for your input.

Hi,

I used to treat chicken skin with brewer's malt. The skin came out
crispy and so thin that you could see light through it. I never tried
it on turkey skin though.

I would sprinkle 3/4 tspn of poowdered brewer's malt ( you can get it
at a beer making store)on the skin 20 minutes before putting it into
the smoker. I believe that during the 20 minutes it would activate
and beginto "predigest" the skin. The relatively high temps of the
smoker, killed the activity.

Give it a go and let us know what you get. One person's opinion
doesn't carry much weight.

shotgun