Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dry sherry versus "cooking wine (sherry) "

On Thu 16 Oct 2008 09:34:47a, Omelet told us...

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 15 Oct 2008 09:25:53p, sf told us...
>>
>> > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:19:30 -0700 (PDT), amandaF

>> > Salt. Buy a cheap dry sherry to cook with... Gallo is fine.

>> > No.

>> Cooking sherry is vile. One taste would convince you. :-) Barbara's
>> right. Buy an inexpensive drinking sherry to cook with.
>>
>> Personally, I prefer substituting Sercial Madeira for sherry in most
>> recipes. It's a rather dry madeira and perfect for cooking. For
>> sipping, I prefer a Malmsey Madeira. It is sweeter and has a rather
>> complex flavor.
>>
>> This substitution is strictly a matter of personal taste.

> I've not tried Madeira for cooking.
> What recipes do you routinely use it in? I mostly use dryer red or
> white wines, or port for dessert dishes.

Generally, I use it in recipe that calls for sherry, but Maderia specific
dishes include those with chicken, pork, or beef. Chicken in a Madeira
sauce that includes citrus rind and raisins, pork medallions with a Madeira
and butter sauce, filet mignon with a mushroom and Madeira sauce. There
are many possibiliites.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 10(X)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)