Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney Christine Dabney is offline

Default Soups On!!!!

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:04:14 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On the good side, I like the leeks inclusion. Never tried leeks. Doing
>good till we get down to "8 cups water". Boring! We all know my take on
>soups. Gotta be broth based. The French don't keep 5 stockpots full of
>simmering stocks going for the Hell of it. Flavor, people, flavor.

Some of the books I have been reading are adamant that it be made with
water.

And to disagree with you on the broth and the French. Maybe in
commercial kitchens, broth is more common, but from the French
housewife often just uses water. I can quote several sources on this,
from Richard Olney, to Madeline Kamman.

And believe me, my soupe au pistou, which is made with water and NOT
broth, is very, very tasty, and definitely not boring. I taste the
vegetables then, and not the overriding flavor of the broth.

Christine