Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soups On!!!!

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:31:57p, Nancy Young told us...

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:54:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> Am I invited? I've wanted to make the Cook's Illustrated
>>> minestrone for a long time. You put parmagiana rinds in to
>>> thicken and flavor it. I saw a package of the rinds for sale
>>> at a local supermarket, which will come in handy as I don't
>>> have any.

>> Of course you are!!!!! You are one of the original
>> cookalongers...LOL.

*If* I were going to participate in this (but I'm not because I don't
chat), I would make the following recipe. This is one of my favorites
because of all the shredded greens.

Artusi's Minestrone (variation)

2 quarts (2 liters) simmering beef or chicken broth
1/2 cup dried cannellini or cranberry beans, or 1 cup fresh beans
1 packed cup each shredded Savoy cabbage, spinach, and beet greens
A head of garlic, roasted, then well mashed
A bunch of parsley, a small carrot, a short celery stalk, and a small
onion, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
A zucchino and a potato, diced
1/2 cup of minced, seeded, and peeled sun-ripened or canned plum tomatoes
1/2 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano
Salt and pepper to taste
Boiling water (as needed)
Grated Parmigiano (at service)

If the beans are dried, soak them overnight. If they are fresh, this won't
be necessary. Heat the shredded greens in a pot until they wilt and drain
them well.

Next, simmer the vegetables and seasonings in the broth. When they’re
almost done (taste a piece of potato; it should be soft but not falling
apart), check seasoning, add the rice and continue cooking, stirring
gently. The rice should serve to absorb excess liquid, Add the parmigiano
stirring well to distribute, then simmer until melted. If the soup gets
too thick, add some boiling water.

Serve with a large garlic crouton, spread with fresh pesto.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day