Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_2_] Nancy Young[_2_] is offline

Default Soups On!!!!

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:31:57 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> Classic Minestrone from Cook's Illustrated:

> This does look good.
>
> I haven't looked through all my books yet, so haven't decided which
> one I will make.
>
> I think some recipes call for prosciutto, and I have some chopped
> prosciutto in the freezer, that should be used up soon.
>
> Don't some recipes call for pancetta?

I've never had minestrone except out of a can.

Actually, I remember the first time I heard the word minestrone.
In high school, I worked in the local library a couple of hours a
day. One of the ladies asked me to run to the market for her
to pick up a can of Progresso minestrone. Minestrone? What's
that?? Heh.

I don't know why I've never made this soup, I have had this
very recipe on my 'must try someday' list.

> I knew about parmesan rinds being used...and I have some of those in
> the freezer as well.

I'm going back to Costco, I hope the cheese display is
still there, they had enormous wheels of parm, I don't know
why I didn't pick up a wedge.

> This should be a good kickoff to the fall/winter soup season. I will
> dig out my Le Creuset soup pot for this!

All the better.

nancy