Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Pepperidge Farms: Mummy bread?

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I bought a loaf of 12-15 grain PF bread and for reasons I will not go into,
> left it to rot in a dark corner of a shed. That was over 4 mos ago. Lo
> and
> behold, I rediscovered it and gave it a taste. Excellent!!
>
> To put it mildly, I was stunned. How can a bread survive, without
> molding,
> for over 4 mos? This was not in the dead of Winter. No, in fact, 2 of
> those months were late July thru early Sept, not especially cool climes
> during the day. Yet, when I rediscovered said loaf in late Sept, it was
> literally pristine. No mold, texture intact, etc, and the the flavor
> quite
> enjoyable. WTF!?
>
> Has PF discovered the secret of the ancients? Can bread be made to last
> forever? Has the bread industry finally perfected the perfect combination
> of all those unpronounceable preservatives? One has to wonder. BTW, PF
> breads seem to be on par with the quality of Orowheat at a minor reduced
> cost. Check it out.
>
> nb ....jes mumbling

Preservatives?

Campbell Soup Company, one of the largest and most highly respected food
companies in North America, acquires Pepperidge Farm in 1961.

America gets its first taste of Goldfish crackers in 1962. Margaret Rudkin
discovers the snack cracker on a trip to Switzerland and returns with the
recipe.

The Margaret Rudkin Pepperidge Farm Cookbook becomes the first cookbook to
chart on The New York Times Bestseller List in 1963.

Margaret Rudkin officially retires from Pepperidge Farm in 1966.

Dimitri