Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kajikit[_2_] Kajikit[_2_] is offline

Default KFC 9.99 bucket

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:09 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> James wrote:
>>> How much would the raw chicken cost you at regular supermarket
>>> prices? At sale prices? Assume you cook regularly and have all the
>>> other stuff necessary for fried chicken so their cost is minor.

>> [cross-posting snipped]
>>
>> About $4 USD for a whole chicken. Pennies for the oil and
>> breading/batter for frying. KFC is no bargain and doesn't even taste
>> good.
>> Jill

>$4? Wow, down here, we usually pay about $7 for a whole chicken - not cut
>up, which is fine. Allan's great at (this sounds bad!) whacking up a
>chicken to fry. :~) I get squeamish. I can't do it.
>
>We usually just cut up the chicken, put it in cornmeal mix with garlic and
>pepper, shake, and fry. Still WAY cheaper than KFC and cheaper than the
>grocery store deli fried chicken, too.
>
>And, yep, Jill, KFC doesn't even taste good.

The cheapest you usually see whole chicken here is a buck a pound. I
usually make fried chicken tenders instead because Albertsons sells
them for a buck fifty to two dollars (breasts are the same price but I
like tenders better because you don't have to mess with them). When DH
craves fried chicken I go and buy a pound, crumb them up with panko
crumbs, and make some with no icky salt or msg to spoil it.