Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin Lewis Perin is offline

Default Dan Congs considered bitter?

Rainy > writes:

> Are Dan Congs always a little bitter? I tried maybe 5-6 of them and
> they've always had bitter aftertaste for me. It tastes a bit like if
> you add a few drops of alcohol to a glass of water. At the same time,
> I am very sensitive to bitter taste, I can't stand dark chocolate,
> endives, kirby cucumber skin, dark coffee (unless very well light-
> roasted and really fresh and I'm in the mood for it). I don't like
> bitter teas such as Assam or Ceylon unless it's got milk in it. All
> because of bitterness.

I'm afraid that bitterness is always an issue with Dancongs. Every
one I've ever tried will get bitter if pushed too hard. I have a
fairly high tolerance for bitterness, so it isn't prohibitive for me,
but you may be different on that score. As Jim said, the way to
minimize bitterness with these teas is to do very short infusions. I
actually pour off the liquor *as soon as* the brewing vessel is full
of hot water for the first few steeps.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /