Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
Graham Graham is offline

Default Need help translating British flour names in to American

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Mark A.Meggs wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 18:46:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> http://www.allinsonflour.co.uk/produ...ing-flour.aspx
>>>

>> I don't think this is available in the states. Whole-wheat flour
>> isn't a problem. But the only self-rising flours I'm aware of are
>> either "regular" white flour or corn (maize) meal mixes.
>>
>> I'll have to add some baking soda or baking powder.

> Yes you can. Just be sure that the flour isn't 'strong' ie high protein.

Most recipes call for 1tsp baking powder per cup of AP flour (or 4tsp per
pound) plus a 1/4tsp salt.
However, AP flour in Canada and the northern US is quite high in protein and
makes good bread. It is also (I think) higher in protein than UK plain
flour. Therefore, I would be inclined to use cake and pastry flour or a
blend of C&P with AP. Why the salt is added I don't know but it seems
unnecessary and when I made this flour many moons ago, I left it out.
Perhaps Ophelia can help me out here! SR flour is readily available in
Canadian supermarkets.
Graham