Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
Mark A.Meggs Mark A.Meggs is offline

Default Need help translating British flour names in to American

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 18:46:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Mark A.Meggs wrote:
>> I ran ran across a couple of quick bread recipes in the Guardian that
>> I'd like to try, but I'm not certain how the British names for the
>> various flours translate into what I can buy at my American
>> supermarket.
>>
>> If some kind person in the UK could describe what the flours are, I'll
>> take it from there.
>>
>> Wholemeal self-raising flour

>http://www.allinsonflour.co.uk/produ...ing-flour.aspx

I don't think this is available in the states. Whole-wheat flour
isn't a problem. But the only self-rising flours I'm aware of are
either "regular" white flour or corn (maize) meal mixes.

I'll have to add some baking soda or baking powder.

>> Medium oatmeal

>http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...dium__3kg.html
>
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/3m92to
>
>See the picture as you open it.

May not be available. Most American oats are "rolled" oats. Steel-cut
oats are easy to find, but I don't think I've ever seen ground oats.

>> Strong brown flour

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2198586

Not a problem - high-gluten flour should be easy to find.

>HTH

Thanks!

- Mark