Posted to rec.food.cooking
koko koko is offline

Default Sushi restaurant revisited (long)

Last month I went to a new sushi place in town. I posted my
disappointment with some of the meal on my blog. (If you are inclined
to read the post please read the last few comments also.)
An_exception_ to my evaluation of some of the food was posted to my
blog.
http://tinyurl.com/4y9uhs

I wrote the commenter back and took him up on his offer that he posted
to my blog, "for all the readers that need help ordering the right
stuff i will be there this tuesday 6:30pm at the sushi bar in front of
the head chef armand."
I wanted to learn as much about sushi from him as I could.

He agreed to meet me there. Well I was there, he wasn't. But he did
ask the owner, who had also read my blog, to "take care of me."
Luckily that didn't include a pair of cement shoes with a walk by the
river. ;-)

I must say, I had no idea what was in store. Never in my wildest
imaginings would I have dreamed of the fare that was to be presented
before us. Stan and daughter Vicky accompanied me.

When we arrived we were greeted by one of the owners. I had a nice
conversation with him and he explained to me a little about what kind
of fish they order, how they have it delivered daily and that they buy
Blue Fin Tuna. Their tuna comes from Spain and or Hawaii. As of
yesterday they bought 30 lbs of tuna and paid $730.00 for it.

He went on to tell me that this meal would be comped. No way said I, I
wanted to pay for what we ate. He insisted that he wanted to make up
for the meal that we didn't care for, how could I say no. I had to be
polite.

We were started with miso clam soup. I ate my bowl and Stan's, Mr.
nothing from the sea for me. It was sooooo much better than the miso
soup we had the last time we were there. I would call it heart
warming. A smooth carrier for the tender clams.
http://i38.tinypic.com/307p0kx.jpg

Stan had his standard terriyaki chicken. It was really, really good,
not too sweet at all. The mushrooms in it were killer. (not literally)
http://i33.tinypic.com/10msa9y.jpg

As we were eating the soup, we were presented with cold sake.
(sorry blurry) taken before I had a sip. ;-)
http://i38.tinypic.com/2zrixk9.jpg

I love the bottle. It reminded me of the wine pitchers of years ago.
Remember the old green wine bottles with the opening on the side of
the bottle. That way the ice would keep the wine chilled without
diluting it.
http://i36.tinypic.com/2jadz75.jpg

We were then presented with a sashimi plate. It was just spectacular.
Not only what was served but how it was presented.
From the top at twelve o'clock is a garnish of lemon and carrot dipped
in sesame seed, and a fan of cucumber. Next is toro which is the belly
of the tuna, the most desirable and fatty part. Then the green "leaf"
is wasabi. (Actually horseradish as we all know. The owner told me
they get so many requests for true wasabi that even though it's costly
they will have it available starting next week) After the toro is the
fresh yellowtail. Next is the sea urchin called uni which I was
informed was really, really fresh. Then there is the salmon and fresh
tuna. The flower that I thought was decoration, (you can take the girl
out of the hills, but you can't take the hills out of the girl) is
tai, which is red snapper and the center is tobiko, a flying fish
roe.
http://i35.tinypic.com/2196vid.jpg

The only thing presented that I was a little leery of was the sea
urchin. I just made myself try it and it is really good. It has kind
of a custard consistency. Next to the tuna belly it's one of my
favorite items on the plate. The red snapper was a delight also, very
mild and delicate.

The bowl the sashimi was served upon was filled with ice then blue
Curacao was added for color. I minded my manners and didn't ask for a
straw. ;-)
http://i35.tinypic.com/6tlsnc.jpg

As we were trying to take in the sashimi plate both visually and
gastronomically I saw Chef Armand walk by with 3 huge alive and
kicking shrimp. Before long another masterpiece was presented before
us, Spanish mackerel with sweet shrimp. Oh...My...gosh.
The mackerel is presented sashimi style first, then the speared fish
is taken back into the kitchen and deep fried and brought back out.
The shrimp is presented with the heads deep fried but the tails raw.
Sooo good. I didn't think I could take raw shrimp but it is very, very
good.
http://i34.tinypic.com/s1tim8.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/i71idl.jpg

In the middle of all this, somehow sushi burritos made their way to
us. They are made with tempura shrimp, crab meat, avocado, cream
cheese and cucumber rolled in a soy wrapper. They are served with
their homemade salsa. I'm going to have to buy their salsa by the
gallon. The tempura shrimp gives it a nice crunchy bite.
I could eat these all day.
http://i33.tinypic.com/i4fr6u.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/30lh4bp.jpg

Way too much food for me to eat. Daughter Vicky wimped out early and
Mr. if it doesn't cluck or moo I won't eat it didn't help at all. So
they were gracious enough to package up the remaining food for me.
This is what I came home with.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2h8b7r5.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/zj9low.jpg

We are going there again in two weeks, I can't wait. I'm trying to
decide which plate I want to try again. So far the mackerel and shrimp
are my first choice. Not only did I really like it, but it was the
last thing served and I'd like a chance to try it again before I'm too
stuffed to appreciate it. After a bowl of miso clam soup of course.

I think I'm one lucky and blessed girl that I had the opportunity to
have such a meal.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/27