Posted to rec.food.historic
Richard Wright Richard Wright is offline

Default Historic cookbooks or collections online?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:25:36 -0400, "Peter" > wrote:

>Where can I find complete collections of old cookbooks or recipes, online?
>

>I'll give an example of an older cookbook (1898) that is complete (I find
>the meat/game portions very interesting, as well as the useful hints
>chapter... well, they are all good from a historical perspective)
>
>http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...1-119.02-e.php
>

>Any similar links?

Thanks for starting this thread. It is good to see books reproduced
from relatively recent times, and not just antiquarian.

I am interested to see the bog standard British style recipes that
this Canadian book presents. I could not see anything in the list of
contents that uses native Canadian food.

The approach is quite different from what came later in Eleanor
Ellis's 1967 "Northern Cookbook".

I had a copy of Ellis's book once, but it obviously had little
relevance here in Australia. I can't lay my hands on it now and
probably gave it away. Nevertheless one recipe that sticks in my mind
is Jellied Moose Nose. You can see that recipe reproduced by visiting:

http://bertc.com/jelliednose.htm

As you will see, it cautions you to pluck the hairs from the nostrils
before you jelly the nose. As if one would not!

Returning to more serious matters, are there antiquarian Canadian
recipe books that advise the early settlers?

Richard