Posted to rec.food.cooking
TFM®[_2_] TFM®[_2_] is offline

Default No savings in home gardening?

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> On Oct 1, 1:32�pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>> Mikie wrote:
>> > In the Vegetable Gardening venue, there was a post where the writer
>> > felt there was no monetary gain in growing your own veggies.

>> > Well! �If you grow a chemical garden, you're probably right! �But the
>> > gain from an organic garden cannot be measured in dollars! �Think!

>> Did the discussion take into acount:
>>
>> Saved money from not needing a gym membership? �Gardening is great
>> exercise.
>>
>> Saved money from not needing vacations to the country or beach?
>> Gardening is enjoyable and will give you a tan.
>>
>> Saved money from not needing psychotherapy or Prozac? �Gardening is
>> relaxing, meditative, enjoyable, soothing, philosophical, fun.
>>
>> If you're someone who hates every minute of it, then I agree. �Better to
>> get produce from the supermarket or farmer's market. �The cost in
>> dollars and aggravation isn't worth it. �If you think it is fun, then
>> there's no better reward right there.
>>
>> --Lia

> Those are the reasons I garden, especially because for me it's fun and
> enjoyable. I don't really think about the economic aspect unless
> someone brings it up, but I know from years of experience, that just
> like any other hobby there is no monetary advantage. I also collect
> fountain pens, many of which cost hundreds, even thousands of
> dollars... I can just as easily write with a 19 cent BIC... but there
> is a certain intangible enjoyment in hobbies that can't be equated in
> dollars and cents. Once there's a profit it's no longer a hobby, then
> it's a business... I'm into gardening, not farming... if it was
> constantly on my mind to turn a profit I wouldn't enjoy it and I'd not
> do it. Most of what my garden produces I give away. Today I gave
> away two large butternut squash and two large cabbages, make that
> three cabbages, gave two to my neighbor and one to my tenant. I still
> have four more large cabbages in the garden and more squash... I
> picked some for me too but I can't fit any more in my fridge. It
> would have been immeasurably less costly to simply buy a few cabbage
> and squash for like under $20... growing my own two cabbage and two
> squash cost like $200, probably more. But even knowing this I don't
> mind... I'm sure plenty of yoose spend $200 on a seat at a ball game,
> I never have... I think yoose are just as nutz paying to see grown
> adult juvenile delinquents bat a ball around like so many retards as
> you think I am playing Jolly Green Giant with my patch of dirt

You just feel like you're lording over those you give to.

Here in Floriduh, just the time invested in breaking the ground amounts to
more than one would spend at the local produce market. Stick that in your
****ing New York pipe and smoke it, biatch!

What you pay $1.00 for, I get for 23 cents.

**** you, you uppity prick!

TFM® - and get that ****ing cat off the counter!