Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
redietz redietz is offline

Default Put lard in your beans

On Sep 30, 2:08*pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> I have been adding a spoonful of lard to a pot of beans forever. And we, as
> a family, never lifted the house during the night with gases as happens to
> others who don't use lard.
>
> Comments?

I'm not entirely sure that lard is the reason. (I've also heard the
claim made that epazote will reduce flatulence.)

The trick more seems to be to eat beans regularly -- it allows you to
build up the intestinal flora needed to properly digest them. I know
from experience this is true for me. If I eat beans daily, no
problem. If I go without for a month, and then start again, big
problem. This is true whether the beans contain lard, epazote or
neither.

I'm not knocking lard, though.