Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default White pumpkins?

jmcquown wrote:

> I simply don't go looking for pumpkins. I used to do a fall display
> outside my front door consisting of fun shaped gourds, a small pumpkin
> and a sheaf of cornstalks. I never saw white pumpkins even then. It
> probably depends on where you live. Or, as with the OP, what the store
> is having shipped to them.

Around here, they're unavoidable. Supermarkets have big displays of
them. Even smaller stores have them piled up in big boxes. They get
carved for Halloween, but if you're not into that, they still turn up
everywhere as holiday decorations as you describe-- pumpkin, decorative
gourd, and some corn. Pumpkins are the cheap food this time of year.
They sell for pennies, are easily cooked, and feed a crowd.

--Lia