Posted to alt.food.sushi
Rik Brown[_17_] Rik Brown[_17_] is offline

Default question on Nori

miket;1523290 Wrote:
> well for the first time I finally broke down and tried sushi at home. I
>
> purchased a Sushi kit that had all the goodies inside but the Nori has
> me
> concerned. The sheets are very brittle and have a smell somewhat like
> tobacco.
>
> Is this normal?

I can't say I've ever experienced nori that smelled like tobacco.
However, the sheets should not be extremely brittle which would be a
sign of being overly dried out. You could attempt to carefully "steam"
a piece to see if you can get some moisture into it.

But, frankly, you are best off to spend the money on some fresh nori.
The quality of the nori is a make-or-break item when it comes to sushi.
If it doesn't taste good on its own (break off a piece and taste it), it
shouldn't be used for sushi.

Cheers! -- Rik

--
Rik Brown