Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default What kind of beef cut is best for Mongolian Beef?

On Sep 27, 10:49�pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
> >> Bottom sirloin flap and tri-tip are really the best all around for
> >> slicing thin and stir frying, but you can get away with any cut
> >> except ground beef and cheeks.

> >> -sw

> > Glad to hear that because I have some tri-tip cut into kabob size ( by
> > the store). I can just thaw them and cut them thin for this dish.
> > Perfect.

> Leave them a little frozen. They cut easier when you want thin pieces
> for stir-frying.

Regardless which cut one should never use previously frozen meat for
stir frying. Freezing ruptures the muscle cells so the meat loses
moisture, thinly sliced then makes for exceptionally tough and dry
meat. It's very easy to slice fresh meat thinly, use a carbon steel
blade... no stainless steel can ever be nearly as sharp as carbon
steel.