Posted to rec.food.historic
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default "Fools" oldest recipe

Gary wrote:
>> Sure, but then one would have to find every relevant entry. Not
>> quite the same as having some source that lists the earliest known
>> occurrences of such names/concepts.

> Jean,
>
> Sounds like you should write that book!
>
> Be warned, however -- it will take years to research and write, and
> the day after it's published hordes of scholars will suddenly appear,
> bearing countless examples of earlier references to virtually every
> entry in it (and your publisher won't even consider a revised edition
> until the first one sells out -- which is NEVER, because there are
> only a hundred of us in the world who crave such a book).
>
> Do you think that might be the reason you can't find that book now?
>
> Gary
>
> -----------------------------------
> Gary Allen
> On the Table <http://www.hvinet.com/gallen>
>
> The Resource Guide for Food Writers;
> The Herbalist in the Kitchen;
> The Business of Food: Encyclopedia of the Food and Drink Industries
> (with Ken Albala);
> Human Cuisine (with Ken Albala)

Heh. Well, my little pea-sized brain was thinking of writing a
book, but right now I am too busy collecting material (fun!) and
also gearing up for a move. I may still write one, but yeah,
there is that risk. At least with a site, you can change things,
even invite folks to try to find precedents.

--
Jean B.