Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
malc malc is offline

Default Home made demijohns

jim c wrote:

> I agree about normal plastics such as the 'squash' (cordial) bottles
> mentioned above. My point of view does not come from experience but
> from a lot of research and anecdotal evidence I have found. However,
> using plastic 'Better Bottles' - which are my main secondary
> fermenters - I have happily bulked aged for close to 18 months now and
> there is no sign of oxidation taking place that I can discern
> visually, by smell or by taste. The manufacturers state a negligable
> permeability for those particular vessels and at this stage I am
> starting to believe them.

A friend of mine uses old lemonade bottles as wine bottles in the absence of
anything better. They seem ok to me. I'm trying a similar experiment but I
won't be able to report back for about a year, by which time I'll have
probably forgotten all about this.

--
Malc
R1100RS old and tatty

You laugh at me because I am different
I laugh at you because you are all the same