Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Corked NZ wine

DaleW wrote on Thu, 25 Sep 2008 04:45:54 -0700 (PDT):

> >> Fuder is not a barrel?

>> Sorry folks, my misinterpretation. I was thinking of new
>> barrels.
>>
>> Btw, has anyone heard of old barrels becoming TCA-infected?
>>
>> M.

> So if a winery is Riesling only, and uses fuders, do they always
> buyused barrels? My assumption was that occasionally there was a
> newfuder, but the size (and probably lack of heavy charring)
> meant minimal oak transfer.

Just for interest, what is the definition of a fuder? I noticed its use
here for the first time a few days ago and forgot to ask but, from the
context and Googling on

fuder wine

I guess it is a barrel but my German technical dictionary has cartload
or large wine measure.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland