Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Do bread machines really save that much time

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Brian Christiansen" > wrote:
> (snip)
>> straight dough method, I dont think it really saves that much time.
>>
>> Brian Christiansen

> It gives the perception of saving time, I think.
>
> And there are those folks who get off on using the delay timer so they
> can have fresh bread when they wake in the morning.
>
> The machines let people with *absolutely no experience* turn out a loaf
> of freshly baked bread. Often, those folks also have *absolutely no
> interest* in working dough with their own hands whatsoever.
>
> They may not save time but they save energy of motion. The only thing
> you have to do is measure accurately and put the ingredients into the
> pan in the right order. No stirring, no wondering if you're doing it
> right.
>
> I borrowed my daughter's a couple years ago and used it maybe four or
> five times to see what the shouting is about. Reminds me that I should
> return it to them.
>
> I'm not sure that their attractiveness is based on saving time, Brian.

That wasn't what attracted me to the ABM, I just don't like to beat up
some dough just to get a custom bread. I'm on my second machine, a
Regal, and it works very well. Latest loaf was a dessert bread, banana
nut with cinnamon. We don't eat white bread at all unless it's sourdough
so I make a lot of rye, whole wheat, and multi-grain breads, it's easy
enough with the ABM that I can load up the pan, set the timer, and
forget about it until it chimes. During that approximately 3 hours I can
be prepping for a meal, cleaning house, playing on the computer, etc
without worrying about what stage the bread is in. For me it's
convenience, not time.