Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Do bread machines really save that much time

In article >,
"Brian Christiansen" > wrote:
(snip)
> straight dough method, I dont think it really saves that much time.
>
> Brian Christiansen

It gives the perception of saving time, I think.

And there are those folks who get off on using the delay timer so they
can have fresh bread when they wake in the morning.

The machines let people with *absolutely no experience* turn out a loaf
of freshly baked bread. Often, those folks also have *absolutely no
interest* in working dough with their own hands whatsoever.

They may not save time but they save energy of motion. The only thing
you have to do is measure accurately and put the ingredients into the
pan in the right order. No stirring, no wondering if you're doing it
right.

I borrowed my daughter's a couple years ago and used it maybe four or
five times to see what the shouting is about. Reminds me that I should
return it to them.

I'm not sure that their attractiveness is based on saving time, Brian.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance