Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim c jim c is offline

Default Home made demijohns

On Sep 24, 2:33*pm, wrote:
> On Sep 24, 3:16*am, Space_Cowby > wrote:
>
> > I am going to try this, unless there is a reason not too.

> > Get 1 large empty squash container from asda / tesco. The 5 litre ones
> > with a handles.

> > Using a wood / spade drill, drill a 25mm hole in the plastic lid. The
> > bung will airlock will be a snug fit in the screw cap.

> > There you go a free plastic demi john. Also square for better storage.

> Plastics are generally not suitable for storing wine for more than the
> short period of time that it takes to conduct primary alcoholic
> fermentation.
>
> Medium-to-long term storage/ageing should be done in glass/barrel/
> stainless steel.
>
> Plastics are porous, and they allow too much transfer between the
> contents, the container, and the outside environment. *Food-grade
> plastics are fine for the 1-to-2 weeks it generally takes to undergo
> the primary ferment, but beyond this plastic vessels should not be
> used as they can contribute to off odours/flavours and spoilage.
>
> I know of a local commercial winemaker that would use large plastic
> containers that had been used to ship orange juice from Florida to
> here (near Ottawa, ON), and after the primary fermentation he would
> transfer the wines to glass/steel/barrel.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris.

I agree about normal plastics such as the 'squash' (cordial) bottles
mentioned above. My point of view does not come from experience but
from a lot of research and anecdotal evidence I have found. However,
using plastic 'Better Bottles' - which are my main secondary
fermenters - I have happily bulked aged for close to 18 months now and
there is no sign of oxidation taking place that I can discern
visually, by smell or by taste. The manufacturers state a negligable
permeability for those particular vessels and at this stage I am
starting to believe them.

Jim