Posted to alt.food.wine
greybeard greybeard is offline

Default Corked NZ wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Michael Pronay wrote:

>>> Keep in mind that corks aren't the only source of TCA, just the
>>> most common one. Barrels can also pick up a TCA contamination

>> JFTMOR: a riesling -- from wherever it might come -- probably
>> never ever has seen a barrel even by distance. (I know that a few
>> exceptions exist, thank you.)

> Michael,
> Are you saying that few Rieslings see cooperage of any sort? I
> don't know what the practice is in Austria, but in Germany, the
> traditional method of elevage involves placing the wine in 1000 L fuder,
> which are indeed oak barrels. Are you saying otherwise? I'm confused.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Whoa! Sorry guys, this is NZ Reisling

Think Steel, Steel, Steel.
Sure, reds like PN, Cab, Merlot Malbec will see oak.
Some whites as well, especially Chard (too much quite often)
and a rare SB or two many get a little oak, mainly the richer tropical
styles from say Hawkes Bay, but most SB and as far as I know all
nz reisling will have seen nothing but stainless steel till it hits a
bottling
line.
Sorry about your dodgey wine though, hard too attribute a cause IMO.

cheers
greybeard