Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Corked NZ wine

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I had hoped that screw tops might eliminate TCA but yesterday I think I
> detected it in a screwtop NZ wine: Grove Mill Marlborough Riesling,
> 2005. It was not undrinkable but there was a most unusual over taste.
> The label claims that it could be cellared until 2013, but not by me!

Jim,
Keep in mind that corks aren't the only source of TCA, just the most
common one. Barrels can also pick up a TCA contamination and (most
disastrously) even entire winery facilities can. What year was your
Grove Mill Riesling? I think that I've seen some locally and might pick
one up out of curiosity.

Mark Lipton