Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default question about homemade vanilla extract

Ozark Baby wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:06:28 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> zipporah wrote:

>>> Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/) is another fine
>>> source for containers. I've been very happy with my orders from them. I
>>> use their tins for dry herbs and spices and have some eye-dropper
>>> bottles for citrus oils and the like. They have very competitive
>>> pricing too (always a bonus).

>> I think I would use these: (either the 2 oz or 4 oz with plain lids)
>> http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...on=Custom&ID=2
>>
>> Bob

> I am wondering if plastic can be used? What are your thoughts?

The extract will last a lot longer in glass (especially brown glass) and
you don't have to worry about the alcohol slowly leaching chemicals from
the plastic.

BTW, I read an article in Cooks magazine a few years ago, and their
homemade vanilla was more expensive than commercial vanilla and not as
good -- even though they used good beans. Of course yours will be
different ;-)

What spirits are you planning to use? (I would use bourbon or rye
whiskey because they have a spicy aroma already.)

Bob