Old 21-09-2008, 08:24 PM posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Wikipedia - do you use it?

On Sep 21, 12:40�pm, Steve Slatcher wrote:
I use wikipedia quite a bit and would trust it just about as much as I
would trust anything else, i.e. with a fair degree of scepticism. �I
try to judge from the general style and standard of the article, and
if the information is important to me I would always try to find a
corroborating source. �At least errors in wikipedia are easy to fix.
Dead tree sources may as well be tablets of stone when it comes to
correction, and even blunders on non-wiki websites can be difficult to
get corrected. �

I have corrected errors in wikipedia on a number of occasions - always
things that are clearly wrong and easy to correct - I have not written
any substantial pieces of text myself. And I would strongly urge
others to make corrections. �It annoys me when I read someone
complaining in some forum or other about specific errors in wikipedia,
when they could have fixed the article themselves in less time than it
took them to complain.

--
Steve Slatcherhttp://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Similar to my feelings. I occasionally fix obvious mistakes. I don't
regard anything as definitive, but it's a source (and better articles
offer references).