Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis Nexis is offline

Default Homemade Vanilla Extract

"Ozark Baby" > wrote in message
> We are planning on making our own homemade vanilla extract. What I
> want to do is to be able to give some as gifts. What size bottle would
> anyone recommend for gifts? The other question is if I would need to
> seal, like with canning, such jars of extract once it is made, after 6
> months, or what? Would this homemade extract be ok just sitting on
> shelves or should it be refrigerated or what? Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

I'm assuming you're making it with alcohol, yes? So that would be fine on
the shelf. My mom used to make it years back and I remember thinking that
someone should make a perfume that smelled like vanilla...little did I know
years later there would be perfume, bath soaps, lotions....heheh

How much are you making? If you use a 750ml bottle of alcohol (which is
about 25 1/2 ounces), you can then use roughly six 4 ounce bottles for
bottling. Apothecary bottles with screw tops would work fine, and you don't
need to process it.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/