Posted to rec.food.cooking
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone tried drying limes?

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>>
>>> Slice crosswise and they dehydrate just fine. I've tried before it with
>>> tangerines.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> There's next to nothing on the web about this. I did find a picture at
>> wiki with the caption "Blanched limes drying in the sun". I'm familiar
>> with the reasons for blanching vegetables before freezing. Did you blanch
>> the limes you dried?

> No, I think you'd lose too much juice if you tried to blanch them.
>
> For M.E. cooking, have you considered pickling some? There are lots of
> recipes for pickled lemons.
>
> Bob

I haven't investigated that yet. The recipes I'm seeing just say "dried
limes", but no clue as to whether they sun dry them (like in Mexico), or
pickle them. The wiki photo (with blanched limes) showed them whole, not
sliced, so I suspect the blanching was done to kill any microorganisms on or
just below the skin surface. I think I'll try a couple of whole ones done
that way on the top shelf and sliced ones lower.