Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Nigel Nigel is offline

Default Wake-up tea

On Sep 19, 2:46*am, Alan > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 5:47*am, toci > wrote:

Now, if they listed the caffeine
> content for EACH tea, that would be very helpful. I'm sure that's too
> much trouble/expense for most tea retailers, though.

Not too much trouble - it's the expense that precludes accurate
caffeine listing.
A reputable US analytical house with a dedicated tea laboratory
charges $350 per caffeine measurement, and on contract will reduce to
$210 each per ten samples.
A typical tea retailer with 200 separate lines will purchase perhaps
an average of 20 lb of each line four times a year from maybe a dozen
different suppliers. That would necessitate 800 caffeine measurements
per year if he is to accurately list the caffeine content for each tea
he carries. The cost implication - of $168,000 per year - would
cripple most tea retailers, or if passed on to customers at cost would
be a $10.50 per lb price hike. Is caffeine information worth this much
to you?

Nigel at Teacraft