Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default pectin - Certo

In article
Tarpon > wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm going to try and make hot pepper jelly. I've never done this
> before and the use of pectin is causing me some head scratching. I
> hope that some of you may be able to help with my questions.
>
> 1. I've a recipe that calls for 6 oz of pectin. Are liquid and
> powdered pectin equivalent, 6 oz of either?

They are not the same and they cannot be swapped out willy-nilly.

**They are not used in the same way.**

> 2. Is there a formula that tells you how much pectin to use? Say if I
> have total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar I need "x" grams of
> pectin?

No. A tested recipe is your formula. You can alter the type of pepper
you use depending on your desired heat level. If you've never canned
before, stick with a reliable recipe and follow it to the letter.
Here's a recipe from the Kraft site using Certo liquid fruit pectin
(made by Kraft):

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes...lly-51862.aspx
There are other pepper jelly recipes on the site.

This recipe is from the Ball Blue Book, often referred to as the
canner's bible:
http://www.recipezaar.com/312033

If your "total of 8 cups of peppers, water and sugar" are improperly
distributed, you will not have jam or jelly at the end of it. (And you
need vinegar in that recipe, by the way.)

> Any help or guidance is appreciated. (I've got lots of hot peppers in
> my garden to use :-))
>
> John

Ask your questions on rec.food.preserving, John. It's the proper place
for preserving information. Lots of knowledgeable and experienced
posters there. Helpful, too.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance