Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman[_1_] Brian Mailman[_1_] is offline

Default Pickled avocado?

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> The only way I eat avocado is in guacamole, otherwise I don't care
>>> for them. Never met a mango that I liked either, even when I owned a
>>> piece of a 10 hectare mango plantation in the Philipines. They just
>>> taste astringent to me.

>> When I visited my brother in Saipan, there were these pickled mango
>> slices I became fond of. Very crisp, very crunchy, and fire engine
>> orange. The pickled papaya was similar, only fire engine yellow.

> I love fresh papaya and even the dried slices. First time I ever ate it
> was in Thailand when I was there on R&R and fell in love with the fruit
> and the country. Unfortunately what I can get here is usually either
> over ripe or green so it's not as good.

I'm fortunate enough to live within walking distance of the Mission and
can easily accomplish those.

But at my brother's... was odd to be in a place where mangos and papayas
just grew everywhere, and my sister-in-law was complaining that plums
and peaches were $12 a pound.

B/